Monday, May 11, 2009

Alphabits

It's a sunny day but the graffiti letters are still trickling down from the eaves along Mission street. They bounce on metal street covers like Alphabits falling from the box knocked over on the kitchen table. They dripped out of someone's white paint pen while we were asleep. These dancing words and the blooming flower baskets and the cloudless sky seem to defy the cigarette butts and black remains of chewing gum that litter the walkway.

I listen to "Starlight" by Muse. I believe the street rolls underneath my feet where the world dances in sweeping motions with the passion of the singer. It colors this place where I pass the people sweeping their doorstops, selling churros, spitting on the sidewalk, youthful and traveling in packs, or sitting in quiet homelessness underneath the murals on 19th.

I hear:
"Hold you in my arms / I just wanted to hold you in my arms
My life / You electrify my life"

I put the song on repeat.